Famous Chinese singer Zang Tianshuo is given a six-year sentence after a second hearing in Beijing for organizing a gang fight last September that killed one and injured several, the Beijing Second Intermediate People's Court said Friday.
But he will be confined until 2014 as he has been detained for one year. Victims' families will be compensated with 290,000 yuan ($42,000).
Zang was allegedly the head of a gang whose members worked in his bar in Beijing, and he has been accused of organizing hundreds of fights. He was detained last September for his alleged involvement in gang fights and stood trial at the Beijing second intermediate people's court last month. But he retracted confessions at the court.
In one case, in 2003, a bar owner in Langfang, Hebei province, had a dispute with his partner and hired members of Zang's bar to settle the dispute. A man was killed in the ensuing fight.
But Tang Zhibin, the attorney of Meng Long who was killed in the gang fight, told China Daily Friday that he was not informed of the hearing today until now. Meng's family was demanding compensation of 700,000 yuan from Zang.